SoundCloud, the world’s largest open audio platform, and AdsWizz, the leading global technology provider for digital audio advertising solutions, have announced an exclusive agreement to sell audio advertising in 14 European markets including Ireland.
By extension of its relationship with AdsWizz, AudioOne, Ireland’s first and largest digital audio marketplace, becomes the exclusive reseller of SoundCloud to clients and agencies in Ireland.
Young People Love Digital Audio Content, Especially Music Streaming
– Digital audio consumption is being driven by on-demand music streaming with 61% of people listening to on demand music, 42% to live radio and 29% to podcasts weekly
– Music Streaming accounts for 64% of time spent listening to digital audio by 18-24 year olds and 54% of time spent by 18-34 year olds compared to only 17% of time spent by 18-24 year olds and 25% of time spent by 18-34 year olds listening to live & catch up radio.*
– Digital audio consumption is being driven by 18-34 year olds. This age cohort spends almost 22 hours per week listening to digital audio Vs an average of 16.6 hours spent listening to digital audio.*
SoundCloud is a Music Streaming Service Loved By Young People
-What’s next in Music is first on SoundCloud – SoundCloud is the undisputed home of emerging musical talent on the web.
-SoundCloud is a GenZ anchor with 40% of its Irish audience aged 16 to 24.
-SoundCloud derives a lower % of its revenue from consumers and a higher % from creators than rival services. Its purpose is to build the careers of creators. It levels the playing field for emerging artists to have their music discovered and music discoverability is a defining expression of youth culture.
-In the most popular digital audio segment, on-demand music streaming, for the first time in a long time, there is a real advertising alternative for brands.
SoundCloud shares similarities with competing Music Streamers but is different in important ways;
– 350,000 Adults or 10% of the population listen to SoundCloud at least once per month
– 36% of 18-24 year olds in Ireland listen to SoundCloud at least once per month**
– SoundCloud is the second most popular music streaming service in Ireland with 10% of 16-64 year olds having a free account. This compares to 24% having a free Spotify account.**
– Core’s Listen Up Ireland Research shows 41% of Irish Adults listen to Spotify free Vs 16% for SoundCloud.****
– Both research studies agree that SoundCloud’s reach is only 40% of Spotify’s reach but the gap is smaller when it comes to 18-24 and 18-34 age groups.
– When it comes to net reach, 65% of SoundCloud users do not have a Spotify free account**
– 40% of SoundCloud listeners are aged 16-24** Vs 25% for Spotify*** so SoundCloud users are 60% more likely to be 16-24
– 65% of SoundCloud listeners are aged 16-34** Vs 48% for Spotify*** so SoundCloud users are 35% more likely to be 16-34
– The median age of SoundCloud listeners is 30**, 5 full years younger than competing music streamers
– Users on SoundCloud spend longer listening to music streaming than users of competing streaming services with median session length of between 1 and 2 hours**
– SoundCloud users are 75% more likely to listen to hip hop, house & techno and 25% less likely to listen to 90’s, 80’s and easy listening**
SoundCloud Listeners Are:
– 70% more likely to play sport
– 66% more likely to donate to a charity
– 53% more likely to visit the cinema
– 35% more likely to but a laptop, console. digital camera in the next 6 months
– 30% more likely to eat out
– 22% more likely to order fast food
*Source: Irish Research into Digital Audio Consumption & Behaviour, IAB & RedC, September 2020
**Source: SoundCloud Audience Report – Ireland, GlobalWebIndex, H1 2020
***Source: Spotify & Kantar TNS, May 2019
**** Source: Listen Up – Audio Streaming, Core, September 2020