SoundCloud is a Music Streaming Service. Irish People Love Digital Audio Content, Especially Music Streaming
- Digital audio consumption is being driven by on-demand music streaming with 61% of people listening to on demand music, 42% to live radio and 29% to podcasts weekly.*
- Music Streaming accounts for 64% of time spent listening to digital audio by 18-24 year olds and 54% of time spent by 18-34 year olds. By contrast, live and catch up radio listening only accounts for 17% of time spent by 18-24 year olds and 25% of time spent by 18-34 year olds.
- Digital audio consumption is being driven by 18-34 year olds who spend almost 22 hours per week listening to digital audio compared to an average of 16.6 hours spent by all adults.*
- At a time when other music streaming services are re-defining themselves as audio companies – moving out of music into talk, podcasts, other non-music audio – SoundCloud is embedding even more deeply into the music business.
SoundCloud is a Music Streaming Service Loved By Young People
- What’s next in Music is first on SoundCloud – SoundCloud is the undisputed home of emerging musical talent on the web. With over 250 million tracks from 30 million creators heard in 190 countries, the future of music is SoundCloud.
- SoundCloud is predominantly listened to by GenZ and Millennials. 65% of its Irish listeners are aged between 16 and 34. SoundCloud has a stronger affinity with these age groups than any other music streaming service.
SoundCloud shares similarities with competing Music Streamers but is different in important ways
- 350,000 Adults or 10% of the Irish population listen to SoundCloud at least once per month
- 36% of 18-24 year olds in Ireland listen to SoundCloud at least once per month**
- Core’s Listen Up Ireland Research shows 41% of Irish Adults listen to Spotify Free Vs 16% for SoundCloud. SoundCloud’s reach is approximately 40% of Spotify’s and this gap narrows further when it comes to the listening habits of 18-24 and 18-34 age groups. ***
- When it comes to incremental reach, 65% of SoundCloud users do not have a Spotify Free account**
- SoundCloud listeners are 75% more likely to listen to hip hop, house & techno and 25% less likely to listen to 90’s, 80’s and easy listening than competing music streamers’ listeners**
In comparison to other Music Streamers, SoundCloud listeners are
- 70% more likely to play sport
- 66% more likely to donate to a charity
- 53% more likely to visit the cinema
- 35% more likely to but a laptop, console. digital camera in the next 6 months
- 30% more likely to eat out
- 22% more likely to order fast food
*Source: Irish Research into Digital Audio Consumption & Behaviour, IAB & RedC, September 2020
**Source: SoundCloud Audience Report – Ireland, GlobalWebIndex, H1 2020
***Source: Listen Up – Audio Streaming, Core, September 2020