As part of The Infinite Dial in January/February 2019 – 1500 randomly Americans over 12 years of age were interviewed by Edison Research about their digital media interaction.
“This is a watershed moment for podcasting–a true milestone. With over half of Americans 12+ saying that they have ever listened to a podcast, the medium has firmly crossed into the mainstream,” noted Tom Webster, Senior Vice President at Edison Research.
- 1/3 of the population listened to a podcast in the last month – around 90 million monthly listeners.
- Online Audio in general – 60 million people listening per week – up 3% from 2018
- 81% of people listen to AM/FM radio in the car – down 1% from 2018
- The percentage of people listening to podcasts in the car has risen from 19% in 2017 to 26% in 2019.
- The % of the American population familiar with Podcasts has risen from 64% in 2018 to 70% in 2019
- 51% have ever listened to a podcast in 2019 up from 44% in 2018
- 32% of the US population listened to a podcast in the last month up from 26% last year.
- 22% listened to a podcast in the last week, up 5% from 17% in 2018
- Weekly podcast listeners average 7 podcasts per week
- 36% of men listened to podcasts compared to 29% of women.